Saturday, May 17, 2008

sunny days

Wow the weather here has been insane!! Daly City is only known for it's fog- not 90 degree weather, which we have had the last few days! With no AC in the house or my car, Aiden and I found ourselves hanging out in the air conditioned mall. We did have company, though. Karmy McKee and her 11 month daughter, Maya, came up from Salinas to visit and hang out. It was really cute to see the two babies interact. Aiden didn't really do much but stare, but Maya kept kissing and petting his head. She was fascinated by him. It'll be fun someday to have two little Wisers in the house.

I couldn't help but reflect today on what motherhood means to me. Last night I recieved a phone call from a job recruiting office in San Francisco that I worked for last year while preganant. They offered me a full-time position at a real esate firm in the financial district that I had worked at doing temp work. I guess I did something right there and they wanted me back to hire me on. For a moment I toyed with the idea of working- the pay, the fun location, and the interaction with the cool people there all sounded really attractive. With the recruiter on the phone and Aiden in my arms I had an overwhelming sense of need to stay home with my son. As much as the job sounded fun, my desire to be home with Aiden completely out weighed the job oppurtunity. Of course, I turned down the offer. Ever since I was young I always knew I wanted to stay home with my kids. I guess I am fortunate that Josh's job allows that because I know that it is not always possible for some mothers.

Well, Saturday morning is here so I am off to join Josh and Aiden on the couch. I can hear Josh playing guitar to Aiden...

3 comments:

Dean Family said...

mel- im so glad you have a blog. now i can check up on you and your little one! he is adorable, but must look alot like your hubby, cuz i dont see you much :) sounds like you guys are happy and enjoying cali!! we love nampa and i enjoy staying home. this 95 degree weather is killing me prego though! well i need to run, hope all is well!!

Hilary said...

Thanks for the email about your blog. I am so excited to catch up with the Wiser family. Aiden looks adorable - I will be a frequent checker.
Hilary Western

Unknown said...

I hope I can have the same strength as you when the time comes to choose between work and family. It's a tough decision, you know? There's lots of worldly pressures, and then in the back of my mind there's always the question, "Why am I getting this education if I'm never going to be able to use it?" I'm sure it's a question many mothers face.
Way to go though, Melanie. You're an inspiration to me.
love.