Thursday, May 7, 2009

any advice?

OK, you moms out there. I need some advice. Aiden is not eating. I have been going crazy trying to find ways to sneak some proper food into him and he just won't have it.


In the morning he'll drink a full bottle of milk, and then eat some scrambled eggs, oatmeal or a yogurt which is good. Breakfast is always easy. The rest of the day, however, all he'll want to eat is yogurt or applesauce and maybe some cheese. I can't get him to eat any vegetables or solid fruit. He's usually more slender than kids his age but he's also much taller than them too. On his year check up his doctor said he was healthy and growing normal but now he's eating less. Help!! I've been so frustrated about this there have been many tears shed (from both Aiden and I!). Any advice would be great!

4 comments:

Shelly and Clif Hargus said...

Hey Melanie,

It is shelly, Ok I have a few questions for you first. Does Aiden have all of his teeth including 1 year molars? If not that could be the reason. Canine teeth are sometimes referred as the stomach teeth becasuse they make the child's stomach upset. Molars will also do that too.

second, Is he still on the bottle throughout the day? he may be drinking too much liquids and may be too full.

Third, Is he snacking throughout the day? He may fill up on snacks and not want to eat a full meal. Dylan used to do this and I would cut snacks down to 2, one inbetween breakfast and lunch and one between lunch and dinner.

And last it might be a phase he is going through where he is going to eat what he is going to eat. As long as the stuff you are giving him is healthy then let him eat it. My 3 year old still has picky habits about food still. Doctors say it is normal for kids to do it. They say to try foods and then try again in a week. They will come around on their own time.

If you are worried about him getting nutrients or anything like that, have him take a vitamin to supplement or get the "ensure" for kids.

Sorry, such a long comment.
Shelly

Crystal said...

This is what I was told, kids eat when their hungry. :) I just give the kids what they get, they eat what I want and I not to worry about it. My boys are both skinny and they eat all day. Healthy foods and all.

Don't worry mommy. :)

Flock of Lambs said...

I think it is normal, just as long as there is some sort of nutrients in there. Nathan is the pickiest eater - he loves his cheese and basically does not eat fruit if it is put in front of him. BUT, at least with Nate, the key for me is to "hide" it in other things. He loves pizza, so I "hide" veggies of sorts on his pizza, or he loves Jamba Juice - so I will get him a jamba everyonce in a while. I try to sneak it, but I also force it sometimes - meaning it is not going to kill him to eat two green beans with dinner. If he eats his TWO green beans then yes, you can have dessert. So yes, I guess I bribe my kids ... but at least I know he is getting something good in his body. We did the whole crying bit also - but it really does get better with time. Nate seems to be coming around. If you do find out the secret though, let me know - I will try anything too. Funny thing though? Kait loves salad, grapes, stawberries, etc. True that you cannot compare kids!

Wiserones said...

Hi Melanie and Josh and Aiden ...
I sent you some sites from Google!

Love you....Mom/Grandma